Wednesday, March 6, 2013

With a sprinkle of Parmigiano Reggiano

For the past year I have been blogging about gluten free foods and teaching others that it is possible to live and love being gluten free. It is possible to enjoy healthy, delicious, simple and affordable gluten free meals. My palate has evolved and the best part about blogging is that I am able to provide an outlet for me to share my journey with readers and help them along the way. Food is a great passion and I feel that I've learned so much and experimented with different ideas, which has in turn opened my eyes to new reicpes. I'd like to share on of my favorites with you and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

In any meal I make I try and follow a few 'rules':
1. Have fun
2. Incorporate all healthy ingredients
3. Try NEW foods
4. Gluten Free
5. Enjoy the process

This recipe is one my friends and I all made one night a couple weeks ago. At our weekly gatherings, we all split ingredients to bring, therefore lowering the cost for all. I love eating out, but there is something so special about sharing the relaxed time with others at a lower price, as well as learning about new foods and delectable conversation. My friend and fellow foodie Lizzie provided this recipe. Ever since I began my blog I've expanded my range of foods, spices, ingredients and overall joy of cooking. After being diagnosed with Celiac Disease I didn't feel my life was 'over', I embraced the fact that I had a unique diet and could help others in the process.
Cooking for yourself and other healthy eaters allows you to learn new skills, try new foods, develop new techniques, as well as educate others that may be on their journey to eating better and trying new recipes.

Quinoa Stuffed Squash 
Ingredients:
4 acorn squashes
4 T. olive oil
2 t. chili powder
1 t. cumin
Ground black pepper, to taste

Prepare Stuffing
6 oz. Parmigiano Reggiano
1 c. cooked quinoa (Make sure to not cook 1 cup uncooked or you'll have too much)
1/2 c. diced tomatoes
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 T. extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
2 c. raw baby kale, chopped
1 t. red wine vinegar



Roast the Squash
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Wash acorn squash and then slice in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. (Clean and bake them too for a little snack)  Place squash halves in a baking dish.



Drizzle the squash with olive oil.   Mix together chili powder and cumin and sprinkle over squash.    Season with fresh ground black pepper. Roast for 45 minutes or until done.

Prepare Stuffing
1 c. cooked quinoa
1/2 c. diced tomatoes
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 T. extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
2 c. raw baby kale, chopped
1 t. red wine vinegar
4 oz. crumbled Parmigiano Reggiano

As soon as the quinoa is cooked, stir in the tomatoes and black beans and a sprinkle of Parmigiano Reggiano.
Let set while other ingredients are prepared. In a large sauté pan, heat one tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat.  Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until translucent, about 4 minutes.
Add kale and sauté until it start to soften, about 5 minutes more.   Stir in red wine vinegar.
Remove from heat and toss with the quinoa mixture in a medium bowl.   Stir in Parmigiano Reggiano- the best part of the entire recipe.


Lizzy hard at work

Stuff each squash half with 3/4 to 1 cup of stuffing, mounding it up a bit.    Return squash to oven for about five minutes more until stuffing is reheated and Parmigiano gets nice and soft.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment